The Lord's Prayer

Our Father, which art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name;
thy kingdom come;
thy will be done,
in earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive them that trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation;
but deliver us from evil.
[For thine is the kingdom,
the power, and the glory,
for ever and ever.]
Amen.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

What Is Our Hope?

A few days ago a dear lady from my church, called to encourage me. Marilyn, is a senior with a tremendous life story. A PhD in her own right and a native New Yorker lends to her often fantastical personality which I have the privilege of knowing. I have expressed some recent discouragement to her and she called that day, to say, "she had something for me". Her something was the following sentence. "To hope, until hope creates the thing it contemplates".
Since that conversation, I have been pondering her gift and I called her to ask' where did it come from'? She could not remember. So briefly, with the help of the internet, we discovered together that it was part of a Percy Shelley quote (August 4, 1792July 8, 1822. The full quote is as follows:
"To suffer woes which Hope thinks infinite; To forgive wrongs darker than death or night; To defy power which seems omnipotent; To love, and bear; to hope till Hope creates From its own wreck the thing it contemplates".

This quote is from Prometheus Unboun , a Lyrical Drama, which was completed at Florence in the autumn of 1819, In Prometheus, an inverted plot of a lost play by Aeschylus, is found
In Act IV, and the closing lines of the drama, Demogorgon (as far as I know a Demogorgon is a terrible deity, whose very name was capable of producing the most horrible effects) speaks those words to all creatures that, should the fragile state of grace be lost, they can restore their moral freedom through these “spells”:
This has caught my attention greatly, especially when thinking about hope as a "spell".
I am not sure I understand all of this, especially in light of Shelley being an Athiets. What hope was he looking for, what does it mean that Grace is lost? More specifically, what type of hope is really being offered especially by Demogorgon?
I know that I hope in being resurrected the way Jesus of Nazareth was. And I hope to see my loved ones again who have "died in Christ" and finally I hope daily for my needs to be met. This is a hope that is always answered. I guess then I "contemplate" Jesus regularly and even though through wrong thoughts deeds and words I "wreck" my witness in Jesus, I am still hopeful and know that I am loved.
My friend who offered these words of hope knows this too and I am thankful that we share a common hope in Jesus. In the end I think Shelley and Demogorgon are after the same thing and that is hope found in God. Saint Paul says in Romans 15:13, "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit". And in Matthew 12:21 "In his name the nations will put their hope".

Today, if you are wondering about hope and you feel that grace is lost, remember Jesus. He had the hope of being resurrected-and He was!





No comments: