The Lord's Prayer

Our Father, which art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name;
thy kingdom come;
thy will be done,
in earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive them that trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation;
but deliver us from evil.
[For thine is the kingdom,
the power, and the glory,
for ever and ever.]
Amen.

Friday, February 8, 2008

What Am I Giving Up for Lent? FEAR

The last three weeks, if you have been following my blog, know that it has been a difficult time for me. I have walked through the Valley of the Shadow of Death. I have willfully walked outside of God's Kingdom in search of an easier path and I have been ruefully living in fear.
So what's going on and how am I trying to give all of this to the Lord?
When looking at Psalm 51 I feel like King David has written that Psalm just for me. David says in verses 2,3,4,
"Wash me clean from my guilt. Purify me from my sin.For I recognize my rebellion; it haunts me day and night. Against you, and you alone, have I sinned; I have done what is evil in your sight. You will be proved right in what you say, and your judgment against me is just".

My rebellion has been to accept a spirit of fear and impatience. I have let fear control me. This fear comes from not having a structured time schedule, not having a job, missing my best friend who is in Africa, having a husband who is going through his own difficult time and by not spending deep quality time with Jesus.
It is a difficult time that I am going through, but I have made it more difficult by not spending time with God and asking God to fill me with His wisdom, patience and grace to endure longsuffering.
Now that we have entered into the Lenten season and as our hearts begin to prepare to worship and remember the agony of Jesus leading to His death, I have decided to confess my sin, return to God, for I know He loves me. I will do this by releasing this spirit of fear and capture instead, God's spirit of love, mercy and joy.
Psalm 51 goes onto say, "
"Purify me from my sins, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow. Oh, give me back my joy again; you have broken me— now let me rejoice".

I have been broken and my heart is contrite. I accept the Lord's cleansing and I begin today afresh. I know the road ahead seems dark and murky, but "His rod and His staff shall comfort me"
David finishes Psalm 51 by saying,
"You do not desire a sacrifice, or I would offer one. You do not want a burnt offering. The sacrifice you desire is a broken spirit. You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God".

Why does David say this? Because of how he begins the Psalm David knows that, God will have mercy on him "because of [His] unfailing love.

Lent is a time for us to reflect on what Jesus gave up when He came to earth, a time to reflect on how amazing God's love is for us and a serious time to reflect what sin we must trade in for God's holyness and righteoussness.
I am giving up fear and trading it in for trust!






No comments: