The Lord's Prayer

Our Father, which art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name;
thy kingdom come;
thy will be done,
in earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive them that trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation;
but deliver us from evil.
[For thine is the kingdom,
the power, and the glory,
for ever and ever.]
Amen.

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Friendship Defined

Have you ever washed someones feet? I have washed many feet for many different reasons and frankly it was always a wonderful and sacred moment. Think of washing a newborns little toes or a toddler who has just learned about mud. Think of professionals who do pedicures and those that care for diabetic feet. Washing a foot or any part of another can be something to cherish.
Jesus washed the disciples feet, even the feet of the one he knew would betray him-now that is friendship! How hard it is sometimes to wash and care for those that are hurting us, but that is how Jesus defined friendship, no matter how much the disciples goofed up, or abandoned him or betrayed him he still reached out in love and washed them. He also said, " Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends". Wow, die for my friend? That must be some kind of friendship. I am very blessed to have such friends, very blessed!
Though, I often wonder am I that kind of friend, too? The answer I am sure is no. In fact I am certain that I have failed more often as a friend then I would really like to count, but this week, with a friend laying on my bed in tears about a difficulty in her life, she turned to me and said, "Pamela you have had to sacrifice so much for me this past little while and I will never forget what you have done". I was shocked because I don't feel like Paul and I have sacrificed much or at all. We simply love Sara and she needs some care which we can offer, but when explaining to someone why Sara now lives with us, this other person commented with, "that is a great sacrifice".
I suspect that some of my misunderstandings about sacrificial friendships are because I am still uncomfortable with receiving grace and asking for help and allowing people to sacrifice for me. I am much better at offering grace and willing to sacrifice for others. I also think I believe(wrongly)that sacrifice has to hurt somehow.
In the past two years I have experienced a great number of times where I have needed help from others. Spiritual, physical, economical and emotional help has all been offered and thankfully accepted. It has been very hard, but I am learning when I deny people their chance to care for me I deny true friendship. I deny them the chance to use their gifts.
This very week I had lunch with a beloved friend, who told me a complicated story(eluded to in my two past posts)of how he stuck up for me and ultimately lost a job because he cares for my reputation and our friendship. Of course I feel some guilt over this, but I am also learning to receive love and accept the sacrifice of others for me. I cannot serve people authentically if I cannot receive openly God's grace, through them.

Friendships, true intimate and loving friendships lead to the washing of each others bodies both physically and spiritually. Friendships like the ones Jesus has called us to, means we are willing to lay down our lives for one another and accepting the beautiful gift of others laying their lives done for us, just like Jesus did on the cross.
I am still learning and thankful this week for a beloved friend, and through his sacrifice I am being reminded that I am valued and loved enough to die for!
Sacrificially,
Pamela

No comments: