The Lord's Prayer

Our Father, which art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name;
thy kingdom come;
thy will be done,
in earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive them that trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation;
but deliver us from evil.
[For thine is the kingdom,
the power, and the glory,
for ever and ever.]
Amen.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Spring has Sprung

I look outside my window,
The blooming hyacinths are there.
I smell the cool wet grass,
Beginning to grow.
A soft wind silently passes,
Spring has certainly sprung.

The silence of the afternoon is deafening.
I feel restless and afraid.
I watch the Robins and the Cardinals,
Almost jealous at the work they have begotten.
This Spring, has begun.

I want to stop time.
I watch as soft clouds drift by.
More rain is coming.
This is good, no one will see my tears.
I want the Spring to stop.

The life that burst forth in front of me, is exhausting.
I cling to the window sill,
Terrified of the new life in front of me.
I am to drained to think of the sowing and weeding,
And watering that is needed.
Too tired to think about the fertilizer and pruning that is required,
For my garden to be the beauty it was meant for.

I want Winter.

But alas, the Cardinals red has caught my attention,
It glows with majesty.
And then, Theophilus, my 25 pounds of black fur, runs past me,
Chasing the birds with delight. I catch myself laughing and call to him.
He loves Spring.

He rolls around in the mud gleefully, purring.
How could I deny him this?
How can I deny the tulips and daffodils their time in the sun?
How could I ever want to stop Spring?

I go the garage, and grab the rake.
I sweat after an hours work.
I take in the sun with all of its promises,
And wonder where God has been?
"Spring", I hear Him whisper, "Spring".

A time of renewal and resurrection.
A time to begin again.
A time to dust off the winter and trust again.
Spring has sprung, my mind knows this.
It's my heart that won't wake.

It knows the pruning to come,
For it has already begun.
The past few weeks have been so laborious,
Anger, fighting, winds of war and tumultuous rain.
The Spring in my heart can be so damp.

But I stand here, looking at winters moldy leaves.
"Ready to rake?", He asks.
"Yes Lord, but I am tired of waiting".
"I know", He says softly. "But summer is just around the corner,
Rake now and seed, I'll do the rest".
So I rake, clearing a place for new seed.
Spring clean up has begun.

I smell the grass and suddenly feel a warm breeze.
Theophilus, is at my feet. He is rolling, purring and smiling.
The hopes of roses and gardenias fill my mind,
They are my favorite flowers, and I have missed them.
"The summer will bring what you need", He offers.
"Trust the seeds we plant, trust the Spring.
"Trust me"!

No comments: